Fall in love with the Port Royal Sound Foundation, and donate today!
Thank you for considering a gift to the Port Royal Sound Foundation. The Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, and contributions may qualify as a charitable deduction for federal income tax purposes. Your unrestricted donation will help us advance the awareness of the Port Royal Sound and support educational efforts to protect and conserve the environmental, cultural and economic well-being of our unique saltmarsh ecosystem.
Click here for a video showcasing the Foundation and all the wonderful things happening every day at the Maritime Center!
In addition to funding, building and staffing the Maritime Center, since Nov. 1, 2014, the Foundation has:
- Established a free weekly Story Time reading program for children.
- Established the Tuesday Talks program, a lecture series featuring local and regional experts.
- Established bimonthly art and cultural exhibits.
- Established a semi-monthly birding program.
- Established semi-monthly Eco-Expedition boat tours and kayak tours of the Sound.
- Hosted several youth boating safety programs in partnership with the Beaufort YMCA.
- Hosted Kids in Kayaks and other kayak programs with local outfitters.
- Recruited more than 100 active volunteers, who contribute as docents, greeters, tank cleaners, gardeners, speakers and classroom instructors for school field trips.
- Welcomed more than 15,000 visitors.
- Hosted preschool, elementary and middle school field trips, complete with class curriculum.
- Hosted continuing education classes for several community organizations.
- Partnered with several organizations, including the S.C. Department of Natural Resources, Beaufort County Schools, the University of South Carolina Beaufort, Low Country Master Naturalists, the Open Land Trust and many more.
Our Future … Together
The Maritime Center continues to grow. Planned growth for the immediate future is highlighted below. With your help, we can do so much more! Ask us about our many naming and sponsorship opportunities, including:
- Underwater Sounds, an interactive exhibit teaching how marine life communicates.
- Megalodon, a reproduction of a huge prehistoric shark jaw.
- OCEARCH, an interactive exhibit to track and learn about sharks tagged in the Sound.
- Viewing Tower, an iconic 38-foot tower to make our Maritime Center a landmark.
- Outdoor Learning Center, converting one of our docks into a self-guided education experience.
- Educational Programming including:
- School Field Trips with curriculum designed to enhance classroom learning.
- Tuesday Talks Lecture Series, featuring local and regional experts on various topics, such as local wildlife, history, environmental issues and more.
- Department of Natural Resources Discovery Vessel Camp to be held annually in the fall.
- Youth Boating Program, a YMCA collaboration to teach safe, respectful boating.
Click the button below to donate online or click here for other ways to give.